Monday, December 14, 2009

Teaching spec ed ain't so easy

I would say that for most of us out there, who find themselves working among children and white boards, our days aren't so easy. One would think after 11 years as a inner city special educator ... this whole game would get a little smoother. It would somehow become like the movies. you know, where the teacher is appreciated and all the kids live happily ever after. But, that is not what life behind the chalk is really about.



My guess is if you are a teacher you are like me. The money is too little, the hours are long, the job is thankless and never ending. And yet like so many others I find myself every fall back in the room with desks and chairs thinking, "today is the day!" As a special educator I love the moments when a child who couldn't sit still, sits and smiles. Or when a junior high student reads for the first time. I guess that is why we all do it. But there are those moments, those days, even those years when I think to myself, "What am I doing?"

So here I am the teacher in purple ready to share a little of my life with you. Together we will venture into the ups and downs of this weird world we live in. Maybe, just maybe, some of what my days are filled with, fill your.

No comments:

Post a Comment